Running a business requires A LOT of paper work. You’ll be inundated with invoices, purchase orders, tax papers and other documents—all of which can be time consuming task to create, requires more space than you have and can easily become misplaced. Implementing an electronic document management system can allow your company to eliminate these headaches and become organized.
What are some of the characteristics and capabilities of a good document management system?
When deciding on a document management system, you need to ensure the one you choose can handle all of your business’ needs. Good document management systems should:
- Work seamlessly with your content creation software. Moreover, your system must allow you to save, index and scan these documents—both in their original form and with searchable metadata. Chances are you will also want to be able to control who has access to your system. You will also want the ability to control security and access to your system
- Works by assigning documents to specific, pre-determined user groups, by creating and storing multiple versions of documents and requiring users to login and logout
- Allow users to make notations and remove/add pictures or text into the item’s indexed metadata
- Allow users to retain emails for a predetermined amount of time and make them findable through a simple search
- [Not a necessity, but a plus] having the ability to archive and retrieve documents online; thus, allowing travel without dragging paper documents with you
Please see our knowledge center for more information on Document Management System.
If you want to learn more about how a document management system can modernize your company, contact Georgia document management system consultants at Innovative Architects or read about our SharePoint consulting services today.